Plans for the weekend? Looking for something fun in the city. Here are some ideas:
Edgefest (July 14) rocks Downsview Park, with three stages featuring Billy Talent, Death From Above 1979; Silversun Pickups, The Sheepdogs, USS among so many other great bands. Check out the festival guide and artist line-up for details.
- The Unity Festival celebrates on Yonge-Dundas Square with a kick-off concert July 14 (1-10pm), featuring Kardinall Offishall, T-RexXx along with other bands, dancers, beatboxers and graffiti artists (free event). A Poetry Slam will be held on the 15th July at Yonge People’s Theatre (Tickets 10-15$).
- The 40th annual Festival of India is taking place this weekend (July 14-15). It begins with a parade down Yonge Street and the festivities continue after on Centre Island. The festival “celebrates and shares the vibrancy of India’s most enduring cultural and spiritual heritage for the entire GTA to experience, explore, and enjoy”. (Free)
- Open Roof Festival presents outdoor film screenings, live music and great food. You can catch it Thursday nights, until August 23rd at Amsterdam Brewery. (Tickets 15$, available online)
- Caribana is back July 17-August 7 with hundreds of Caribbean-inspired events, outdoor concerts, parties and a parade on August 4th from Exhibition Place across to Lakeshore Boulevard. (some free events, some paid)
- Toronto Summer Music Festival (July 17-August 4) features world-famous performing artists in a series of concerts, guest lectures, Masterclasses. Check out their festival event calendar to find out more.
Continuing this week:
- Summerlicious spreads all over the city, bringing you three-course fine-dining deals at more than 180 top restaurants: Lunches 15-25$ and Dinner 25-45$. (on until July 22)
- Toronto Fringe Festival is back in town until July 15. Click here to find out “how to fringe”. Tickets are 11$ and can be purchased online. Just choose a title from the Fringe Festival Listings.
- Shakespeare in High Park, presented by Canadian Stage features Shakespeare’s romantic comedy A Midsummer Night’s Dream in High Park. Performances are on Tuesday-Sunday at 8pm (until Sept 2). Doors open at 6pm. (Pay What You Can / 20$ Suggested Donation/ Free for Children)
- Picasso: Masterpieces from the Musee National Picasso, Paris is on at the AGO until August 26th. According to the AGO, “this exhibition offers a rare perspective on the life and work of this iconic artist: his own”. Over 147 pieces from Pablo Picasso’s own collection are displayed, including paintings, sculptures, prints and drawings. They have been touring the world as the Musee has been undergoing renovation.
Music in the City: Click here to find out who’s in town: Jam! ShowBiz Concert Listings Highlights: Edgefest (July 14) at Downsview Park; Sarah Harmer at Fort York (July 14); Santana at the Molson Ampitheatre (July 14); Warped Tour punk rock music fest at Molson Ampitheatre (July 15); Enrique Iglesias & Jennifer Lopez at the ACC (July 17)
Enjoy your week!