Two more shopping weekends left before Christmas. Have you made it down your shopping list? Try not to procrastinate as all the good stuff may be gone and the chances of you getting trampled over in a mall only increases the closer we get to the 25th. Good luck and here are some ideas for the weekend if you need a break from the holiday hustle:
If you’re around Yorkville, don’t be too startled if you see Santa in a speedo zooming by in the afternoon. The 7th Annual Toronto Santa Speedo Run is being held to raise money for Toronto Hospital for Sick Children. The run’s official advice to Santa’s concerned about chafing: Think Warm Thoughts. It’s not too late to register, click here for more info.
- The Toronto Motorcycle Show rolls into town this weekend (Dec 9-11). It’s your chance to see hundreds of new models for 2012. Click here for a full list of features and events.
- UFC is back in Toronto, this Saturday, Dec 10 at the ACC. You can catch some action from: Jones vs Machida, Mir vs Nogueira, Ortiz vs Nogueira, Patrick vs Ebersole and Hominick vs Jung. There will also be preliminary matches. More details here.
- Lights, Puppets, Santa. That’s what you will find at the Winterfest on Toronto’s Waterfront (Dec 10/11 & 17/18). Enjoy a Santa Cruise, ice-skate, meet Santa or take in the puppet and dog shows. You’ll also be amazed by the spectacular light show by the water, amongst other events.
- The National Ballet celebrate the holiday season with The Nutcracker (Dec 10-Jan 3) at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts.
Continuing this week:
- Mary Poppins has hopped on her flying umbrella and is in Toronto until Jan 8 at the Prince of Wale Theatre. You won’t need a spoonful of sugar to enjoy this family favorite. It’s guaranteed to be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
- Winter Magic lights up the city. You’ll find it on the downtown streets of Toronto as they are magically transformed into a winter wonderland, marked by various events: Buskertainment, which runs every weekend afternoon now until Dec 18. Don’t be surprised if you pass street-performing illusionists, mimes, stilt-walkers and jugglers on Yonge Street as you do your holiday shopping. And while you’re out there, check out Window Wonderland, as you shop.
- Chagall and the Russian Avant-Garde: Masterpieces from the Collection of the Centre Pompidou, Paris continues it run at the AGO until January 15. It is composed of 118 works of art from various media, including painting, photography, film, sculpture and works on paper. Russian modernists, also included in this collection, are Wassily Kandinsky, Kasimir Malevich, Natalia Goncharova, Sonia Delaunay, and Vladimir Tatlin.
Music in the City: Click here to find out who’s in town: Jam! ShowBiz Concert Listings. Highlights: The Edge’s Jingle Bell Rock, featuring The Sheepdogs at Lee’s Palace (Dec 9/10), Bedouin Soundclash & K-OS at Sound Academy (Dec 9) and AWOLNATION & USS at Sound Academy (Dec 15). Note that $1 from every ticket sold will be donated to The Daily Bread Food Bank in Toronto, and donations of non-perishable food items will be collected at all shows.
Have a great December weekend! Hope you’ve got your running shoes on…you’re almost there.