November 11 at 11am marked the end of World War 1 in 1918. Remembrance Day, today we remember those brave souls who fought for our country and were killed in the line of duty and we also honour those who continue to serve our country in the Canadian Forces.
Here’s your Weekly Slice of what’s going on in the city:
- Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival is on until Nov 13. There’s a few locations, across the city, you can go for some laughs, including Second City, Lower Ossington Theatre and Comedy Bar. Some of the acts you can catch are This is That, Picnicface and The Second City with Dreams Really Come True! (and other lies).
- Winter Magic is in the air. You’ll find it on the downtown streets of Toronto as they are magically transformed into a winter wonderland, marked by various events: Ice, Wine and Dine (Nov 12), a night of gourmet food, festive cocktails, ice carvings, carollers, live entertainment and more; Buskertainment, which runs every weekend afternoon now until Dec 18. Don’t be surprised if you pass street-performing illusionists, mimes, stilt-walkers and jugglers on Yonge Street as you do your holiday shopping. And while you’re out there, check out Window Wonderland, as you shop, and vote for your favorite window display online.
- The Canadian Beatbox Championships 2011 is on Saturday, Nov 12 at The Mod Club. It will be a showcase and throw down of Canada’s Top 16 talented Beatbox contestants selected nationwide.
- It’s Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Weekend and you catch part of the action as they induct Ed Belfour, Doug Gilmour, Mark Howe and Joe Nieuwendyk.
- The BabyTime Show is on this weekend (Nov 11-13) at The Metro Convention Centre. You can talk to baby experts and shop for all your baby and toddler needs from over 200 manufacturers, retailers and artisans present.
Continuing this week:
- The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair is here until Sunday, Nov. 13th at Exhibition Place. On The Royal Horse Show schedule, you’ll find something for everyone, including National and International Show Jumping, The Royal Rodeo and Horse Hockey, featuring retired NHL players Darcy Tucker, Curtis Joseph, Darryl Sittler and Mark Napier. Other events taking place at the fair include: a Petting Farm, The SuperDogs races and performances, the Royal Wine Competition, Giant Vegetable Judging and more.
- Chagall and the Russian Avant-Garde: Masterpieces from the Collection of the Centre Pompidou, Paris continues it run at the AGO until January 15. It is composed of 118 works of art from various media, including painting, photography, film, sculpture and works on paper. Russian modernists, also included in this collection, are Wassily Kandinsky, Kasimir Malevich, Natalia Goncharova, Sonia Delaunay, and Vladimir Tatlin.
And back to today’s date, which also happens to be 11-11-11. So, has it been a lucky day for you, as some believe? I thought about buying a lottery ticket but then figured the odds of winning have not changed, so I bought a chocolate bar instead. A win, everytime. Hope you are having a lucky day and a great weekend!