The 2nd Annual World Poutine Eating Competition takes place September 24 at 5-7 pm brought to you by Smoke’s Poutinerie. This is when serious poutine eaters face-off in a show-down to prove who can eat the most in 10 minutes. Will somebody be able to break Pat “Deep Dish” Bertoletti’s 2010 Championship title and record of 13 pounds of poutine? Check out a clip of how last year’s poutine scoff went down. This year’s event is being held outside gate 11 of the Rogers Centre, just before the Toronto Argonauts and Winnipeg Blue Bombers game kicks off. This weekend, Sept 24 & 25, the Argos celebrate the 20th anniversary of their 1991 Grey Cup.
- The Fall Home Show is at Exhibition Place this weekend until Sunday, September 25. Check it out if you’re looking for home decorating advice, tips, inspiration or if you’d like to meet some of the celebrity guests attending the show, including Bryan Baumler from HGTV’s Disaster DIY.
- Fashionistas, strut on over to The Clothing Show at Exhibition Place and choose a new look for the Fall. It’s Canada’s largest vintage and new independent designer show. There will be runway shows and lots of shopping to be had.
- The Word on the Street, a national book and magazine festival takes place in Queen’s Park. You can get a chance to meet authors, attend book readings and literary workshops.
- The Small World Music Festival celebrates its 10 year anniversary (Sept 23-Oct 2) with music from around the world (Argentina, India, Iran, UK , Brazil, Canada, Italy and more). Events include concerts at Yonge-Dundas square on Saturday (Sept 24) and shows at various bars across the city.
Continuing this week:
- The Manifesto, one of Canada’s largest hip-hop festivals carries on until Sunday, September 25. This festival involves art exhibits, dance competitions, film screenings, workshops and outdoor concert.
- Music in the City: Click here to find out who’s in town: Jam! ShowBiz Concert Listings. Highlights: Sept 23: The Moody Blues are at the Molson Ampitheatre. At Sound Academy, Wiz Khalifa roll up into town Sept 26 & 27 and Elbow perform Sept 28.
So, if you’re looking to escape from hibernation mode this weekend, as the Fall weather gets more gloomy, these are just a few choices you can check out. Feel free to add events in the comment section below…always looking for more ideas. Enjoy your weekend!