Fan Expo Canada hits the scene this weekend August 25-28. Big-Bang-Theory-watching, Star-Wars-costume-bearing fans, get your “nerd on” and unite. The Metro Convention Centre will turn into a playground for gamers, comic book collectors and anyone interested in anime, horror and sci-fi. Plus for the first time, Fan Expo brings Speed Dating, free to attendees but looks like spots are booked up… unless a cling-on gets cold feet, perhaps?
- BuskerFest, Toronto’s international street performer festival will swarm the St Lawrence Market Neighbourhood August 25-28, in support of Epilepsy Toronto. You will be able to catch anything from daredevils and magicians, slapstick comedy, circus acts, acrobats, contortionists and maybe even a BuskerFest marriage proposal (a first last year). The big benefit shows are The Fire Show which takes place Friday at 9:30pm and The Grand Finale on Sunday at 6:30pm.
Continuing this week:
- Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) continues this week and is on until Sept 5. Spend a day of fun at the amusement park, check out the live entertainment, parades and food.
- Open Roof Festival, an outdoor film festival, takes place under the stars every Thursday night (until September 1st) and features a live band, a film and refreshments. It’s at Amsterdam Brewery.
- Cirque du Soleil Totem, a fascinating journey into the evolution of mankind goes on until October 9th. Acts include foot jugglers, roller skaters, trapeze, devil sticks, hoop dancers and unicycles.
- The 29th Annual Canadian Stage Dream features Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Winter’s Tale, presented by Canadian Stage in High Park.
- AGO‘s exclusive exhibition of Abstract Expressionist New York: Masterpieces from the Museum of Modern Art on now until September 4th.
- Outdoor Movies: TIFF in the Park‘s Wednesday free summer-long outdoor screenings of classic musicals (at David Pecaut Square FKA Metro Square) continue this week, as does Movies Under the Stars free Friday movie nights at Downsview Park.
- Music in the City: Click here to find out who’s in town: Jam! ShowBiz Concert Listings. Highlights: Check out homegrown band, Lickpenny Loafer at the Horseshoe on August 27. On Aug 28: Incubus at the Molson Ampitheatre.
- Heads Up: Tickets have started selling for the Toronto Underground Market (TUM). Get a taste of this deliciously brilliant concept that will be making its way to the city. You can purchase your tickets online here and sample the food of Toronto’s home cooks.
Any comments or events to add? Please feel free to post them in the section below. Enjoy your last week of August!