We’re approaching the first weekend in August, so we’re half-way through the summer. Already? So, it seems. Toronto has so much to offer in the summer to keep your weekends filled with fun. Here’s what’s up for the week, in and around town:
SummerWorks Theatre Festival kicks off today and goes until August 14th. This Fringe-style event is the largest juried festival in Canada and features predominantly original plays. SummerWorks Music Series starts tomorrow.
- The Taste of the Danforth brings its fun flavours to Greektown this weekend, August 5-7th. Danforth street will be flooded with people for this celebration of Greek food, music and culture. Opa!
- Toronto’s Festival of Beer pours into town tomorrow and will be buzzing til Sunday. The 2011 Exhibitor list includes over 60 brewers, more than 120 brands from all over the world, along with a great mix of food vendors, including Shanghai Cowgirl and La Poutine Machine.
- Filipinos Making Waves Festival, celebrating its 5th year, will be on at Yonge-Dundas Square August 6 & 7. This cultural and arts festival features Filipino talent in music and dance along with cultural booths. Over 200 performers set to make waves.
- Continuing this week:
- The 29th Annual Canadian Stage Dream features Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Winter’s Tale, presented by Canadian Stage in High Park.
- AGO‘s exclusive exhibition of Abstract Expressionist New York: Masterpieces from the Museum of Modern Art on now until September 4th.
- Outdoor Movies: Harbourfront’s Free Flicks in the City wraps up on Tuesday night, August 9th. TIFF in the Park‘s Wednesday free summer-long outdoor screenings of classic musicals (at David Pecaut Square FKA Metro Square) continue this week, as does Movies Under the Stars free Friday movie nights at Downsview Park.
- Music in the City: Click here to find out who’s in town: Jam! ShowBiz Concert Listings. Highlights: Foo Fighters are back in TO promoting their number one album, Wasting Light. They perform at the ACC on Tuesday, August 9th. Part of Ontario Place’s 40th Anniversary Concert Series, Sloan takes the stage tomorrow, celebrating 20 years together; on Saturday, August 6th, Platinum Blonde will perform (Remember them? Check out their “Crying Over You” video below). Both concerts are free at Echo Beach.
Are there any events you would like to add? Please feel free to use the comment section below to post your suggestions. Enjoy your weekend!