There’s been a record-breaking heat wave in the city this last week (I had to fill you in, just in case you hadn’t heard), so please be careful when planning your weekend. If you’re looking for something fun to do this week, here’s a breakdown of what’s going on, in and around town:
- The 29th Annual Canadian Stage Dream features Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Winter’s Tale, presented Canadian Stage in High Park. Performances are Tuesdays through Sundays (no shows Monday) at the High Park Ampitheatre. Gates open at 6pm and the play starts at 8:00pm. It’s pay-what-you-can but a suggested minimum donation is 20$. Kids under 14 years old are free thanks to TD. For more deets, check out the FAQ page.
- Big on Bloor Festival – July 23/24 on Bloor between Dufferin and Lansdown. Celebrating arts, culture and community featuring “hundreds of events, activities and exhibitions. Check out the Performance Schedule.
- Fashionistas unite. It’s Frugal Fashion Week (FFW) in Toronto created to encourage support of local retail and design communities. Taking place Saturday, July 23 is I Love Fashion, an event where FFW invite you to shop the Queen West strip and join them for an evening of Kiehl’s and cake. On Sunday, July 24, you can attend Scrambled Stilettos and kick your tired feet up after a long tired weekend of shopping, sip a mimosa while you brunch and then head to a the Textile Museum of Canada for a guided tour.
- Continuing this week: Caribana Toronto Festival caps the week off and will go until August 1. Summerlicious goes until Sunday, July 24. Beaches International Jazz Festival grooves on til Sunday, July 24.
- Harbourfront offers Free Flicks in the City at 9pm, a 10 minute walk away from Union station, on Tuesday nights until August 9th. This Tuesday, July 26, the feature is Amal. Movies Under the Stars at Downsview Park FREE Friday movie nights in July and August also continue this week with Megamind. TIFF in the Park Wednesday FREE summer-long outdoor screenings of classic musicals at David Pecaut Square FKA Metro Square. Next Wednesday, July 27, you have the opportunity to see The Sound of Music. Please refer to last week’s Slice for more details on these events.
- Music in the City: Check out who’s in town here Jam! ShowBiz Concert Listings. If you have a penchant for Indi-bands, check out Lickpenny Loafer at C’est What this Saturday, July 23. Watch their new video King Henry VIII off YouTube.
If you happen to find any fun event ideas you’d like to add, please feel free to use the comment section below to post your suggestions. Hope you have a great week. Please make sunblock your best friend, else aloe will be another good buddy to have. And remember to hydrate. Stay cool.