Here’s this week’s breakdown of what’s going on in and around town:
- Caribana Toronto Festival officially kicks off this week and will go from July 14-August 1. It was once a three day event and has now grown to three weeks of Caribbean inspired festivities. For events coming up this week, click on Family Events or Nightlife Events. As for Caribana Parade Weekend, it’s set for Thurs July 28th-Mon August 1st.
- Beaches International Jazz Festival swings into town tonight and is on from July 15-24. It features all kinds of Jazz, Fusion, Funk, R&B, Swing, Reggae, Big Band, Hip-Hop, Dixieland, Smooth, Afro-Cuban, and Soul sounds perfect for summer. Admission is free. Click here for BIJF’s easy to print schedule.
- The Toronto Fringe Festival and Summerlicious continue on this week. You can refer to last week’s post for more details on these two events. I checked out the play Love, Virtually at The Fringe. Plenty of laughs. If you’ve ever been on any online dating site, you’ll be able to relate to this play by Chloe Whitehorn. Check out the characters’ online dating profiles of Big_Stick_Playa, Techie81, Smitten_Siren and MrExtraordinary and you’ll understand. No, maybe biscotti can’t always solve Laurel’s on-line dating toils and tribulations, but her quirky best friends will be there to pick up the pieces with their crazy metaphors like: “It’s like Shrodinger’s cat. As long as you stick to online dating without really getting to know someone, you’re perfect together without actually being in a relationship.” Check it out at the Tarragon Theatre until July 17.
- Movies Under the Stars at Downsview Park has FREE Friday movie nights in July and August. Tomorrow’s feature is How to Train Your Dragon and starts at 9pm. Last week, I mentioned TIFF in the Park Wednesday FREE summer-long outdoor screenings of classic musicals at David Pecaut Square FKA Metro Square. Next Wednesday, July 20, you will have a chance to see Barbra Streisand’s Oscar-winning performance in Funny Girl. Check out one of the numbers in it “Don’t Rain on My Parade”.
- Music in the City: Check out who’s in town here: MuchMusic Concert Listings and if you couldn’t find them there, you’ll find them here: Jam! ShowBiz Concert Listings
So many great options and I’ve just listed a few. If you have any event ideas you’d like to add, a Fringe or Summerlicious recommendation you’d like to share or maybe you spotted something fun going on in your hood, please use the comment section below to post your suggestions. Thanks and have a great weekend!